If you live in Salt Lake City Council District 5 — roughly 9th South to 21st South, I-15 to 13th East — here is how you can apply to be considered to replace outgoing council member Erin Mendenhall, who was elected as Salt Lake City Mayor in November.
The Salt Lake City Recorder’s office will accept applications December 16 through Jan. 14 to replace Mendenhall, who will take her oath of office on January 6, 2020.
A Council Member for District Five will be chosen by the Council within 30 days of the effective date of the vacancy and immediately be seated to finish the term, which ends in January of 2022.
More on the process:
- The City Recorder’s Office will be accepting applications, which must be submitted in person to the Recorder’s Office, 451 South State Street, room 415. Application forms will be available at the City Recorder’s Office and on the Recorder’s website (see below) starting Dec. 16.
- The City Recorder completes the application process by verifying the eligibility of interested individuals prior to the Council’s review and interview process.
- The Council will interview applicants during an open City Council meeting. Those public interviews will be scheduled to begin at the Council meeting on Tuesday, January 21. The public interviews may continue at a later meeting, if necessary.
- The City Council selects, by majority vote, an applicant to fill the vacancy.
- The chosen applicant is sworn in by the City Recorder.
Who can apply?
Eligibility and Residency Requirements:
- Be a registered voter.
- Have resided in the Council District for 12 consecutive months immediately before the date of the appointment and remain a resident of the District throughout the term of office.
- In accordance with Utah Constitution Article IV, Section 6, a mentally incompetent individual, an individual convicted of a felony, or an individual convicted of treason or a crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to hold elective office is restored under Sections 20A-2-101.3 and 20A-2-101.5.
- May not be employed by Salt Lake City if selected for the vacancy.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the vacancy process: http://stories.opengov.com/saltlakecity/published/ZvgfbCIaO
- For more updated information (when available) about how to apply for a vacant City Council Seat, the City Recorder’s webpage at https://www.slc.gov/attorney/recorder/elections/ or call (801) 535-7671.
- To receive updates on the process, sign up here: https://mailchi.mp/slcgov/d5vacancy