HealthLocal

Salt Lake County Health to offer free monkeypox vaccine clinic for sexually active gay, bisexual men

Listen to this article

UPDATE: 7/14/2022 17:38 MDT: All vaccines available for this event have been used. When an update on when more vaccines are available for a new event is announced, QSaltLake will post a story.

The Salt Lake County Health Department is holding a one-day free vaccination event targeted at sexually active men who have sex with men.

Monkeypox is a viral illness spread primarily by skin-to-skin contact, including sexual and other intimate contact.

Signs of monkeypox typically include flu-like symptoms followed by a rash and lesions on the body, including on the face, genitals, and in the anus urethra, and mouth.

Anyone can catch monkeypox, but currently, the spread in the United States is almost exclusively among men who have sex with men.

Salt Lake County has multiple confirmed and suspect cases of monkeypox — all among men who have sex with men.

This event is intended specifically for men who have sex with men who, in recent weeks, have had multiple sexual partners and especially those that have participated in group settings or have had contact with others that do. It is limited to Utah residents.

The current circulating strain of monkeypox is unlikely to be fatal, but the lesions can be extremely painful requiring hospitalization and lasting 3 to 4 weeks.

The monkeypox vaccine has been shown to provide 85 percent protection from illness and to decrease the severity and length of illness in the remaining 15 percent who still become infected.

The vaccine used is JYNNEOS.

When more vaccine is available, Salt Lake County Health Department will offer additional clinics for the larger MSM community, as well as for other people who may be at increased risk of exposure. 

The free vaccine clinic will take place Thursday, July 14 from 2–7 p.m. at the Salt Lake Public Health Center, 610 S 200 E, Salt Lake City. A Facebook event is available here.

More information about Monkeypox can be found at cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/

Related Articles

Back to top button